Wednesday, October 14, 2009

The Five Senses of Autumn

"Autumn is beautiful," I thought one morning as I was walking along the winding sidewalk towards my 8:00 am class, English 211. A little cottage-like residence hall stood to my right. It was shaded by a gorgeous forest of turning leaves. The air was fresh. The grass was shinning golden in the sunrise. So first I thought of autumn. And then I thought of Etsy...

I was inspired by the sights, sounds, tastes, smells, and feelings of fall to search for items sold by Etsy artists whose pieces encapsulate the "five senses of autumn."
Sight
Fall is filled with bright oranges and reds, but, as the days shorten and cloudy skies become the norm, it also has an underlying grey tone. This photograph, taken by Etsy artist flariat captures the brightness and soft greys of autumn.
Sound
The sounds of fall are abundant: the crunching of leaves underfoot, the cries of geese flying south, or the wind blowing through the tress. This print by Colliebox reminds me of the sound of a fall breeze (and also of me and my twin sister! ).
Smell
Spices, apples, burning leaves. The smells of autumn are rich and magical, like this "Spellbound Woods" body butter by solsticescents . This body butter is "a magical blend of alluring amber, sandalwood, vanilla, cedarwood and just a hit of floral." I wish every fall day smelled like this!
Feel
Fall gives me the excuse to wear my scarves again! The feeling of fall is soft, warm, and cozy. This "Funky Autumn Scarf" by Ellita captures these feelings. It is made from synthetic yarn, so it is soft and light.
Taste
No doubt my favorite sense. The coffee shops and bakeries stock up on pumpkin lattes and pumpkin donuts as fall approaches, but coconut reminds me of fall, too. These absolutely delicious toastsed coconut marshmallows made by haveitconfections remind me of a night out with friends roasting marshmallows by the fire.

Please check out the other great work these Etsy artists do. And enjoy this autumn!

Angie

La SuaVoce Designs

No comments:

Post a Comment