Finally I feel like my hard work is paying off! I fixed up my Etsy shop and started promoting...hardcore. And it worked! I haven't gotten a ton of sales, but I am happy with the few I do have. Here are some ways I promote my Etsy shop (can be applied to other online shops as well):
1. Word-of-mouth- Free, fun, and one of the best ways to get word of your shop out there. Bring up your business when you can and be excited for it! Don't be afraid to talk about what you do :)
2. Bussiness cards- Sometimes these can get surprisingly expensive, but they are SO worth it! Invest in good, professional ones that clearly show what your product or store is about. Then hand them out! Send them to relatives and friends. Check out http://www.moo.com/ or http://www.staples.com/ for places to design and print your cards (we picked Staples, but both places have good prices and make unique, quality cards).
3. Blog- My sister and I have a blog ( http://suavoce.blospot.com/ -obviously!) and it's fun. We talk about our business and our experiences running it while in college. We've gotten a lot of views from it, and even a sale or two. If you don't have time to write your own blog, check out other's blogs and comment. You can get your name out there and maybe learn some important tips too.
4. Twitter- I had no idea what the point of Twitter was until I started applying it to my Etsy shop. I get a lot of views by posting links to my newest items (nearly 20 instantly every time!). But we don't just post links, we comment on other twitter posts, post our business related activities, and continue to follow others. Tweet with us at: www.twitter.com/suavoce
5. Facebook- SuaVoce Designs has a Facebook group http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/group.php?gid=94180108452&ref=ts . It wasn't hard to make, and though sometimes it can be a pain to update (you really do have to update it often for it to be successful), it is certainly worth it. Post new pics often, post links to new items, and start discussions. Having a lot of friends to invite always helps get the initial members, and our group has been constantly growing since we started it! Don't forget, when you post a new item to Etsy, connect to Facebook and post it!
There are always more things to do to promote! Wear your pieces if they are wearable and be passionate about what you do. :) If you have any other suggestions or tips for promoting, post it here in a comment.
Happy (successful) promoting!